Viceroy's Arch

One of popular monuments of Old Goa, the monument was built by Viceroy Francisco da Gama in 1597 as a tribute to the achievements of his grandfather, Vasco da Gama, the famous explorer. The arch collapsed in 1948 but was later rebuilt in 1954, only omitting the bronze statue of St Catherine on the third tier of the arch. Made of laterite stone with a granite (greenish) facade, it has inscriptions inside which are related to Vasco Da Gama and King Dom Joao IV.

On the side facing the Mandovi river, there is a small statue of Vasco da Gama, fully attired in his royal uniform, on top of the arch. And on the back of the archway, a statue of a crowned woman standing on a native depicts the Christian victory over paganism. The arch or the gateway is over the Rua Direita road, which leads to the Main Square, place where most of the monuments exist now.